Menu

Canada Starts Social Media Campaign to Tell America It is Great

twitter_bird_logo_2012-svgMoving is an every day detail in American life. A full 63% of Americans have moved to a new community at least once in their lives, even though the remaining 37% has never even left their hometowns. However, with the upcoming presidential election, that number may change as many Americans are thinking about heading north if the election doesn’t turn out in their favor.

Because of all this, it is safe to say that Americans are feeling weary. However, our neighbors to the north are looking to change that.

Toronto-based creative agency The Guardian has recently launched a campaign that is meant to make Americans feel better about themselves in light of its tense presidential election. Dubbed the “Tell America It is Great” Campaign, The Guardian is urging Canadian social media users to use the hashtag #TellAmericaItsGreat to share supportive messages on Youtube and Twitter.

Created as a play against Donald Trump’s campaign slogan “Make America Great Again”, this campaign started with a simple 60 messages and grew into something much more inspirational and heart warming.

These Canadian messages came from all walks of life, saying inspirational messages such as “A nation built on an Idea, not genetics, gave us the Moon Landing and victory in the Cold War,” “Your Declaration of Independence is one of the most beautiful documents ever written,” and “Any society that created Star Trek and Firefly, is great in my books.”

The Guardian explained in a blog post their reasoning behind creating this movement. As reported on the BBC, they said “It’s no secret that America is going through a hard time right now. They’ve been bombarded with a tremendous amount of negativity, and it’s likely that for many of them, the immediate future seems rather bleak.”

In response to their heart warming responses, Americans started their own hashtag #TellCanadaThankYou.

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>